Convert From Cottered Crankset to Square Tapered Cranks/Bottom Bracket

Posted by on in Bottom Brackets, Cranksets


I show how to replace a vintage cottered cranks/bottom bracket to a newer style square taper bottom bracket and crankset. Covered is removing the cottered crank set and bottom bracket, measuring, and choosing a new square taper BB, and installing the new bottom bracket.

3 Responses to “Convert From Cottered Crankset to Square Tapered Cranks/Bottom Bracket”

  1. <path_to_url> Gary Hemmer

    Hi RJ,
    my Raleigh Record is in need of a new BB. I found the replacement parts but if I am going to spend that much money, I figure I am better off replacing it. where to I find the specs for replacement that fill the bill I have 1 3/8 x 26 tpi adjustable cup right hand thread and fixed cup is left hand thread. bb is 71 mm seems everything I find is 24 tpi looked to sram for help they said contact a dealer. a lot of good that did, they told me to bring it in they would take care of it for me. thanks for any advice you can give

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.